- NBCI Home
- About NBCI
- Current Programs
- All Current Initiatives
- Key Black Church Websites
- Health Emergency Home
- Spirituality, Health and Healing
- HED Current Projects Listing
- Family Health
- Men's Health
- Women's Health
- Child Health
- NBCI Health Television
- Health Notes
- Health Articles
- Health Books
- Physical Health and Fitness
- NBCI Clinical Approach Principles
- Health Initiative
A to Z
Links to Minority Health Resources
The church must work
with health experts to
come up with plans to stop
AIDS in all segments
of the African
Visit the NBCI Autism
Our health emergency
Declaration in recognition
of the significance of
Disorders in the African
The Black Church and the Importance of Good Nutrition
What the black church needs to
say to its congregations
about good nutrition.
Work with the
and Policy Initiatives
The National Black Church Initiative, having grown morally frustrated on the pace of achieving equality in health in any area, is moving with immense speed to reveal its Health Emergency Declaration (HED) that will institute throughout its 34,000 churches proven health prevention strategies and models that will begin to alter, transform and eliminate the negative health statistics between whites and blacks in this country.
Health Emergency Declaration (HED) Core Values
|1. Know your body.|
|2. Visit the doctor.|
|3. Increase your fruit and vegetable intake by 150%.|
|4. Increase your physical activity by 150%.|
|5. Get enough sleep (8 hours).|
|6. Take "mental breaks" to reduce stress.|
|7. Quit smoking or do not start smoking.|
- Health Emergency Declaration Paper .pdf [1.6mb]
The National Black Church Initiative declares a national health emergency in the Black church highlighting the health crisis in the African American community. This paper explains why we are taking such dramatic actions and the proven, scientific methods we will be using to solve the crisis.
- The Office of Minority Health, serves as a broad resource for health-related information/resources.
- The HHS Action Plan for Health DisparitiesThe HHS Action Plan to Reduce Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities outlines goals and actions HHS will take to reduce health disparities among racial and ethnic minorities. The Office of Minority Health is leading the charge to put into practice the HHS Disparities Action Plan, at all levels of Department and into the communities with whom it works.
- National Network on the Elimination of Health Disparities in Behavioral Health The network is member-ship driven and could be an option for faith-based providers. Membership is open to community-based entities at no cost.
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) SAMHSA's mission is to reduce the impact of substance abuse and mental illness on America's communities. Strategic Initiatives In order to achieve this mission, SAMHSA has identified 8 Strategic Initiatives to focus the Agency's work on improving lives and capitalizing on emerging opportunities.
Position mouse over graphic to see larger image.
Breaking Health News
The premise of wellness is that you can live a long, healthy, active life. Wellness means reducing your risk for chronic disease, banishing environmental and safety hazards from your home and workplace, and eliminating unnecessary trips to the doctor-but making the best use of the healthcare system when you need it.
Drug interactions can result in unwanted or dangerous side effects and reduce-or increase-the actions of medicines. The drug interaction checker provides information on prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs, herbals and supplements.